If you meet someone and your heart pounds, your hands shake, your knees go weak, that's not the one.
When you meet your 'soul mate' you'll feel calm. No anxiety, no agitation.
- Monica Drake
And even amongst the rush to move in together, get engaged and so quickly share all the bumps of life - adjusting to living under the same roof, and working through those first fights -underneath, like the steadiest stream, has only and always been that sense of calm.
When I was dreaming about Woodland Keep - the life I would lead alongside the work - I never imagined I would share it with a partner, it was always a project of solitude.
And solitude is still such an important piece, but J is now another piece I hadn't before considered - a nurturing and supportive companion through it all. Earth and water - a fertile ground for growing ideas, bringing them to bloom, creating, and enjoying what we've built. It is, of course, not always sweet, it is sometimes a lot of work, but "being in it together" has brought a steadiness and love that colors all of this in a way I would have never anticipated.
And also just the all the unprecedented amounts of cozy ~
As Woodland Keep approaches its one year anniversary I'm thinking more about what will come with Chapter 2. Conveniently enough this cozy space we've nested so hard this past year will transition into my studio (!)(we are moving into a little house! chickens, big garden, nearby all the beautiful hikes!) right at around the one year mark and with that will come so much more room for creative, sharing, making and community possibilities.
I've got 5 million ideas but here are a few that are in the works, and just little updates with how it's going over here.
----What I'm Working On
1. Setting up a space in here for silk screening Moon calendars will be back for Year Two. There will be another batch of an updated version of last year's design, for those that didn't get one, and then a completely new design that will come out a bit later. They'll be up for sale in the last week of October!
2. Pies will always and ever continue in market form, the upcoming pie contest ;), and as I apply for new permitting I'm hoping to be in a couple stores on the islands by next year!
3. Maybe finally chocolate bars ?!?
4. A photo portfolio, and digging deeper into analog and fancier digital realms.
5. And most excitingly the slow beginnings of building up an artist residency/baking apprenticeship- stay tuned on that!
Aaaaand what I'm excited about ---
1. The herbal immersion course with Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine! I've been looking for an intensive for a while now to accompany the little bit of wildcrafting I've been doing for chocolates and pies and couldn't quite find anything that worked with the busy summer schedule and the largely working on weekends - so when I saw chestnuts program was on sale I jumped on it! Living here the plant world has almost become a greater friend to me than the people. Hikes and walking through our backyard have me communing with plants but knowing little in a more academic sense. So I'm hoping this course will satisfy that hunger for learning and allow me to create ethically grown and harvested ingredients to add to the things I make. I'm so excited to have a full garden with the course too and all of the sweet people I've met already, and I'm excited to share what I learn with you guys!
2. The improvisational dance class I took with Marlee Grace yesterday! Dancing with all kinds of various and beautiful bodies, so inspired by the shapes, movements, gestures. I'm finding ways to just move that way in the day to day (mostly so far alone).
3. An island wedding! If you guys didn't see on the social medias J and I are gettin hitched. I can't say I'm fully excited about all the planning, but I'm v excited about the dancing, flowers, all my loved ones being around, all the people who have already offered to help, good food, community, love - you know, the stuff that makes life nice.
And I'm sososo excited about all of these beautiful photos KATIE JEAN PHOTOS so generously took for us during her visit here. Thank you Katie you're so talented everyone go hire her xoxoxo